Thursday, August 7, 2014

What I learned from my book signing tour!



This summer I had a great opportunity to join local Pacific Northwest Authors in a six bookstore Young Adult/ New Adult book tour.  Big thanks go out to T.M. Franklin for organizing it.
I learned so many things about being an author and publishing during this tour.  Here is a list of a few;
1. Covers are SUPER important when readers are walking by.  I watched over and over as people passed over my book in favor of another simply by the cover.  Does that mean I know what covers work and what don't?  Not really but I will definitely put a lot more thought into it. ( not that I wasn't already)

2.  You have to be able to sum up your book in 15 seconds and make it sound like it is the best thing since the invention of electricity because that is about how long you have the readers attention.

3.  This one is a little controversial but I don't mean it that way at all.  When asking young people what they read they automatically say paranormal, adventure...
They say that because that is what is easy to say.  It is a rote answer.  They aren't familiar with the tons of genres out there so they go to the fall back ones.  As the new movies come out I think romance and contemporary will work its way back in to favor.

4. And finally!  There is little else that feels as awesome as being handed a pile of book that a book store asks you to sign.  WAS AWESOME! 

No comments:

Post a Comment